"Wolseley" -- "Finniss" - V&SAR Joint Stock Wooden Sleeping CarComrails Logo

V&SAR Joint Stock Wooden Sleeping Car

Wolseley -- Finniss

19.4.1986 Finniss Dry Creek Interior of Joint Stock Sleeping car, circa 1917

V&SAR Joint stock wooden sleeping car Finniss was built at the Victorian Railways Newport Workshops for use on "The Overland". It was originally called Wolseley, but its name was changed to Finniss in 1910.

See also V&SAR sleeping cars: Acheron, Angas, Baderloo, Barwon, Coliban, Dargo, Glenelg, Inman, Loddon, Onkaparinga, Pekina, Tambo, Torrens.

17.10.1907Entered service named Wolseley.
30.9.1910Name changed to Finniss.
6.1923Electric lighting fitted.
6.1936Automatic couplers fitted.
4.1950Victorian Railways equity brought by the South Australian Railways.
1953Exterior rebuilt for use on the night train to Mount Gambier.
8.1976Withdrawn from service after the fire in "Angas".
9.9.1977Officially withdrawn from service and condemned. [sar CME1244/76]
14.12.1977Purchased by Australian Railway Historical Society (SA Div) for $1500. [sar CME1244/76]