|"Wanilla" No.2 - Narrow Gauge Sleeping Car|
Two narrow gauge cars, "113" and "114", were built by the South Australian Railways at Islington in 1900 as ordinary passenger cars on sleeping car underframes. In external appearance they differed from sleeping car "Baroota" in window spacing only. Internally they had a staggered corridor arrangement with open saloons in the centre of the car.
The car that was "Wanilla" entered service as 6 wheel composite lavatory bogie carriage number "114". When issued to traffic it carried 9 first and 19 second class passengers in an unusual compartment arrangement, but within seven years the interior was rearranged to provide longtudinal seats.
Electric light was fitted in 1907 when the compartments were removed and longitudinal seating fitted. The toilets moved from end to the centre of the car. Seating capacity was 50 second class passengers.
In 1932 it was transferred to Port Lincoln and converted to an Officers inspection car, named "Wanilla" in 1935. The car was fitted with four berths, shower and wash basin at one end and a 17 foot 7 inch long saloon at the other with loose arm chairs.
In 1953 "Wanilla" was downgraded to an employees sleeping car and the name disappeared being renumbered back to "114". At this time a sink, stove, ice chest and cupboards were fitted to the saloon end. It was further altered in 1965 to a kitchen and mess car, and its last use on the Eyre Peninsula system was in a camp consists at Lock.
Pichi Richi Railway purchased the car in 1979 and had it delivered to Quorn by road from Port Lincoln to Whyalla and thence by rail to Stirling North.
See also: Wanilla No.1.
|16.10.1900||Entered service as 6 wheel composite lavatory bogie carriage number "114".|
|1907||Fitted with electric light, compartments removed and longitudinal seating fitted. Toilets moved from end to the centre of the car.|
|1912||Westinghouse brake fitted.|
|1932||Transferred to Port Lincoln.|
|1935||Converted to an Officers inspection car and named "Wanilla".|
|1953||Downgraded to an employees sleeping car and the name disappeared being renumbered back to "114". A sink, stove, ice chest and cupboards were fitted to the saloon end.|
|1965||Altered to a kitchen and mess car.|
|29.5.1979||Delivered to Quorn.|