South Australian Railways narrow gauge bogie sleeping car, built by Adelaide locomotive workshops and issued to the northern system 9.1889 as "109".
Four sleeping cars were built to a common design during 1889 and 1890 at the Adelaide workshops (No. "109" to "111") and during 1900 at Islington (No. "112") for the Northern division. Length over body was 42 foot and overall length being 49 foot 4 inch, height 11 foot 3 inch and width 8 inch, mounted on six wheel bogies. Two water tanks were mounted on the roof, one at each end.
The cars were divided into six compartments. Gentlemens toilets were located at one end and contained a seat and lavatory accomodation, the other end contained the ladies toilet and two berths. Four intermediate compartments each contained four Pullman style berths, two single seats facing each other either side of a central aisle. Passenger capacity was 18 first class passengers. Between each compartment was a sliding door, except for the gentlemans end which had a hinged door. The first car No. "109" had a solid partition, a door not being cut in it until 1932.
In 1953 it was converted to first class car with rotating reclining seats, renumbered "390". and issued to the Northern division. The car consisted of a single saloon 27 foot 8 inch long, containing 25 rotating and recling chairs, with two lavatories 4 foot 6 inch long at each end.
|9.1889||Entered service on the South Australian Railways northern system as car "109".|
|1907||Electric light fitted.|
|1911||Fitted with Westinghouse brake.|
|1942-44||Used on Ambulance Train No.9 as ward car "NRP 3".|
|1953||Converted to first class car with rotating reclining seats, renumbered "390" and issued to the Northern division.|
|-||Purchased by a private individual who later donated it to the Zig Zag Railway, Lithgow.|