South Australian Railways narrow gauge bogie sleeping car, built by Adelaide locomotive workshops and issued to the northern system 10.1890 as "111".
Four sleeping cars were built to a common design during 1889 and 1890 at the Adelaide workshops (No. "109" to "111") and during 1900 at Islington (No. "112") for the Northern division. Length over body was 42 foot and overall length being 49 foot 4 inch, height 11 foot 3 inch and width 8 inch, mounted on six wheel bogies. Two water tanks were mounted on the roof, one at each end.
The cars were divided into six compartments. Gentlemens toilets were located at one end and contained a seat and lavatory accomodation, the other end contained the ladies toilet and two berths. Four intermediate compartments each contained four Pullman style berths, two single seats facing each other either side of a central aisle. Passenger capacity was 18 first class passengers. Between each compartment was a sliding door, except for the gentlemans end which had a hinged door.
In 1916 it was converted to an observation/sleeping car similar to "Baroota" and transferred to the South East. It now carried 14 sleeping or 18 day passengers, the end compartment having had the fixed seats removed and a table and four movable chairs fitted in their place.
See also: Morambro No.2.
|10.1890||Entered service on the South Australian Railways northern system as car "111".|
|1907||Electric light fitted.|
|1916||Cconverted to an observation/sleeping car similar and transferred to the South East.|
|1933||Condemned whilst on the South Eastern Division.|