Standard Gauge 600-class diesel locomotivesComrails Logo

Standard Gauge 600-class diesel locomotives

600 to 606

Jump to:

600 601 602 603 604 605 606
Class:600
Builder:A.E.Goodwin, Sydney, New South Wales
Number in Class:7
Model:DL541
Wheel Arrangement:Co-Co
Engine:Manufacture:ALCO
-Model:251 C
Cylinders:Number:V12
Power:1340 kW (1800 hp)
Traction Motors (number):6
Gear ratio:65:18
Tractive EffortStarting:367 kN
-Continuous:310 kN at 11 km/h
Wheel Diameter (Driven):1.02 m
Length (over coupling points):17.88 m
Maximum Axle Load:18.8 t
Total weight:112.8 t
Fuel Capacity:5455 litres
Maximum Speed:120 km/h
13.10.1998,607 (600) shunts Port Flat

600 -- 607

Diesel locomotive with Co-Co wheel arrangement, built by A.E.Goodwin.

26.3.1965Worked into Broken Hill on standard gauge.
29.3.1965Transferred to narrow gauge and despatched to Cultana where it was converted to standard gauge for use on construction trains.
2.4.1964Entered service as standard gauge 600 class diesel locomotive No.600, Builders No.G3419/01
1.3.1978To Australian National Railways.
26.12.1978Collided with a front-end loader at Olary, along with locomotive 601.
1981Sent to New South Wales for inter-system locomotive working trials.
-Renumbered 607 to fit in with Australian National's new computer system.

601 -- BU 2

Diesel locomotive with Co-Co wheel arrangement, built by A.E.Goodwin.

10.12.1965Worked into Broken Hill on standard gauge.
13.12.1965Transferred to narrow gauge and despatched to Cockburn.
-Stored for some time prior to being converted to standard gauge for use on construction trains.
16.8.1966Entered service as standard gauge 600 class diesel locomotive No.601, Builders No.G3419/02
24.2.1970Hauled inaugral press Indian Pacific from Broken Hill to Port Pirie along with 864.
1.3.1978To Australian National Railways.
26.12.1978Collided with a front-end loader at Olary, along with locomotive 600.
1987External alterations, installation of extra cab windows, roof mounted sun visor, repositioning of air horns and bogie lift pads.
-Sold to Morrison Knudson (MKC) at Whyalla for conversion to "Tractive Effort Booster Unit" to work with Australian National AL class units.
7.8.1993Sent to Morrison Knudson (MKC) at Whyalla.
30.8.1994Entered service after conversion to BU 2 by Morrison Knudson (MKC) at Whyalla.
22.9.1994Caught fire whilst in service.
1996Withdrawn from service and placed in storage.
-Sold to NREC-ALCO.
31.3.2003Transferred to Adelaide for storage in the Islington workshops. [cp 5.2003]

602

Diesel locomotive with Co-Co wheel arrangement, built by A.E.Goodwin.

23.12.1969Entered service as standard gauge 600 class diesel locomotive No.602, Builders No.G6015/01
1.3.1978To Australian National Railways.
15.9.1988Overhauled and engine uprated from 1340 kW (1800 hp) to 1490 kW (2000hp).

603

Diesel locomotive with Co-Co wheel arrangement, built by A.E.Goodwin.

23.12.1969Entered service as standard gauge 600 class diesel locomotive No.603, Builders No.G6015/02
24.2.1970Hauled inaugral V.I.P. Indian Pacific from Broken Hill to Port Pirie along with 604.
1.3.1978To Australian National Railways.
1990Fitted with air-conditioning and engine upgraded to 1490 kW (200 hp).
19.5.1994Sent to Alice Springs for shunt duties whilst 863 being repaired. This was beleived to be the first time a 600 class had been to ALice Springs.
26.5.1994Returned to Dry Creek.

604 -- BU 3

Diesel locomotive with Co-Co wheel arrangement, built by A.E.Goodwin.

23.12.1969Entered service as standard gauge 600 class diesel locomotive No.604, Builders No.G6015/03
24.2.1970Hauled inaugral V.I.P. Indian Pacific from Broken Hill to Port Pirie along with 603.
1.3.1978To Australian National Railways.
-Sold to Morrison Knudson (MKC) at Whyalla for conversion to "Tractive Effort Booster Unit" to work with Australian National AL class units.
7.8.1994Sent to Morrison Knudson (MKC) at Whyalla.
17.9.1994Entered service after conversion to BU 3 by Morrison Knudson (MKC) at Whyalla.
1996Withdrawn from service and placed in storage.
-Sold to NREC-ALCO.
31.3.2003Transferred to Adelaide for storage in the Islington workshops. [cp 5.2003]
More Pictures >

605 -- BU 1

Diesel locomotive with Co-Co wheel arrangement, built by A.E.Goodwin.

2.1.1970Entered service as standard gauge 600 class diesel locomotive No.605, Builders No.G6015/04
1.3.1978To Australian National Railways.
1990Uprated from 1340 kW (1800 hp) to 1490 kW (2000hp) as an experiment.
-Sold to Morrison Knudson (MKC) at Whyalla for conversion to "Tractive Effort Booster Unit" to work with Australian National AL class units.
1994Motor fitted to 705.
28.2.1994Sent to Morrison Knudson (MKC) at Whyalla.
5.8.1994Entered service after conversion to BU 1 by Morrison Knudson (MKC) at Whyalla.
1996Withdrawn from service and placed in storage.
-Sold to NREC-ALCO.
3.2000Used on load trials over the Adelaide Hills.
31.3.2003Transferred to Adelaide for storage in the Islington workshops. [cp 5.2003]
More Pictures >
16.7.1986 Peterborough loco 606 in loco shed

606 -- BU 4

Diesel locomotive with Co-Co wheel arrangement, built by A.E.Goodwin.

4.1.1970Entered service as standard gauge 600 class diesel locomotive No.606, Builders No.G6015/05
1.3.1978To Australian National Railways.
1990Uprated from 1340 kW (1800 hp) to 1490 kW (2000hp) as an experiment.
-Sold to Morrison Knudson (MKC) at Whyalla for conversion to "Tractive Effort Booster Unit" to work with Australian National AL class units.
12.10.1994Entered service after conversion to BU 4 by Morrison Knudson (MKC) at Whyalla.
1996Withdrawn from service and placed in storage.
31.3.2003Transferred to Adelaide for storage in the Islington workshops. [cp 5.2003]
More Pictures >