|"Murray" No.2 -- South Australian Railways Commissioners Car|
In May 1933, the South Australian Government authorized the expenditure of $15,000 for the construction of a new inspection car for the Railways Commissioner. The "Murray" car was the last timber bodied car built at Islington Works and when introduced on 1.10.1934 was claimed to be the most up to date car of its kind in the Commonwealth. The frame work is Tasmanian Blackwood and the internal panels are sliced Queensland Walnut.
The car rides on two six-wheeled bogies imported from the U.S.A and weight 52 tons. Sleeping accomodation is provided for 10 persons. When introduced, the actual cost had risen to $19,954. This additional cost was incurred by providing a fairly high grade of equipment, fitting up and finish to make "Murray" suitable for use by HRH the Duke of Gloucester on his visit to Australia in 1934. "Murray" was also included in the Royal train for HRH the Duke of Edinburgh, when he travelled from Murray Bridge to Adelaide in March 1974. A passenger brakevan (No.391) was also fitted with a generator to provide auxiliary power for "Murray". In the last days of steam, engine 621 was the Commissioner's Engine and used to haul "Murray".
The car is fitted with a speed indicator. In 1972, "Murray" was altered to operate on standard gauge for inspection trips between Peterborough, Port Pirie and Broken Hill. When the "Murray" car is attached to any train, the observation end must be trailing whenever practicable. When the observation end is not trailing, the curtains must be drawn round such end and secured.
It was retained by the South Australian State Transport Authority when the South Australian Railways were sold to the Commonwealth Government, and store in the Adelaide Rail Yards north car sheds. In 1987 it was transferred to Australian National, entering Islington on 10.9.1987 to be upgraded. This did not happen and it was transferred to Port Augusta in 1991 for storage. Following an application by the History Trust of South Australia, in 1997, it was transferred to Islington for conversion to broad gauge in preparation for returning to South Australian Government control.
On 11.06.97 it was delivered to the Port Dock Station Railway Museum.
See also: Murray No.1.
|1972||Altered to operate on standard gauge for inspection trips between Peterborough, Port Pirie and Broken Hill.|
|1975||Retained by the South Australian State Transport Authority.|
|7.8.1987||Transferred to Australian National control.|
|10.9.1987||Sent to Islington.|
|1991||Transferred to Port Augusta workshops for storage.|
|16.05.1997||Transferred to Islington in preparation for returning to South Australian Government control.|
|11.06.1997||Delivered to Port Dock Station Railway Museum.|