|"Flinders" - Narrow Gauge Commissioners Car|
Built at Islington Workshops in 1909 as second class car "167". A total of 16 cars, numbered 157, 158, 161 to 170, 175, 176, 198 and 199, were built with a body of 31 foot 6 inch long, 7 foot 6 inch wide and issued to the Northern Division. Internally the car was divided into two compartments with longitudinal seats along each side. The lavatories were in the centre with a 2 foot 1 inch wide passageway between them. A hinged door on the centre line kept the two compartments separated. All cars were issued fitted with electric light. Capacity of car "167" was 32 second class passengers.
During 1929-30 "167" was converted to provide accomodation for railways officer's inspection tours on the Peterborough Division. The interior was completely rebuilt and a central compartment 13 foot 9 inch long, with a corridor 1 foot 8 inch wide along one side constructed. The compartment was divided into a large bed room with a small bathroom off it. The open compartments at each end became observation lounges end fitted with full length plate glass windows and a sliding door. Fitted with vestibule arrangement (doors and covered walkway, which were later removed.
In 1974 it was obtained by Pichi Richi Railway, being donated by John Martins and Channel seven.
|6.1909||Entered service as "167" on Northern Division.|
|1929-30||Converted to provide accomodation for railways officer's inspection tours on the Peterborough Division. Named "Flinders".|
|1974||Obtained by Pichi Richi Railway.|