|"Eyre" -- Brake Inspectors Instruction car|
South Australian Railways narrow gauge Brake Inspectors Instruction car. Built at the Adelaide Workshops as a 36 foot 1 inch passenger car "128" with, longitudinal seating in one full length compartment and issued to the Northern system in 1891. As originally built cars "126" to "128", "132", "144", "7" and "9" had longitudinal seats along each side of the car in a single large compartment fitted with no lavatories. Cars "7" and "9" were slightly different in that they had a single partition dividing the car in two. Passenger capacity 36 second class passengers.
It was fitted with electric light in 1908, and with Westinghouse brake between 1910 and 1912. In 1921 it was converted to a kitchen car for use on the Peterborough Division Inspection train. It had been fitted with vestibule arrangement (doors and covered walkway), which was later removed.
In 1932 it was converted to the brake inspectors instruction car for use on the Peterborough Division and named Eyre.
|4.1891||Entered service on Northern Division as "128".|
|1908||Fitted with electric light.|
|Between 1910-1912||Fitted with Westinghouse brake.|
|1921||Converted to kitchen car for use on the Peterborough Division Inspection train.|
|-||Fitted with vestibule arrangement (doors and covered walkway), which was later removed.|
|1932||Converted to brake inspectors instruction car for use on the Peterborough Division. Named Eyre.|