South Australian Railways narrow gauge sleeping car. Built at Islington Workshops and issued between Sept and Oct 1915 for use on the Broken Hill Express. "Coonatto" and sister cars "Nilpena" and "Alberga" were the largest and most luxurious carriages on the South Australian Railways narrow gauge. Consisted of 9 compartments with a sleeping capacity of 18. When made up for day use, it would seat about 40. The corridor and smoking saloon were adorned with early photographs.
|Sept-Oct 1915||Entered service on Peterbrough Division as No.210.|
|19.3.1973||Transferred from Peterborough to Port Lincoln.|
|-||Whilst at Port Lincoln, the car was altered internally. Two berths were removed from the saloon area. These berths were only separated from the saloon by a curtain. The toilet and conductor's compartment were also removed to make a larger State room. Four sleeping compartments remain. Each has an internal door to the adjacent compartment which is a shower/toilet. The interior was painted light blue, exterior dark green, gold and black lining.|
|1989||Still in service on the Australian National West Coast system.|
|1996||Donated to Pichi Richi Railway.|