Built by "Dubs and Co", Glasgow (builders No.3385) in 1896
to a design similar to New Zealand Railways "J" class.
First used by "Baxter & Saddler" on Mullewa to Cue Railway
Taken to West Coast of Tasmania by Baxter & Saddler for
construction of Mount Lyell Company's Queenstown to
Sold to "Teesdale Smith" for use on Yeelana to Murat
Bay (Ceduna) construction were it was known as No.1.
Purchased by the Commonwealth Railways from "Teesdale Smith" in 1915
as No.53 for £1500 at Port Lincoln.
Shipped to Sydney 6.1915 aboard SS Nardoo for
transhipment to Darwin bound SS Tasman.
|Builder:||Dubs & Company, Glasgow, Scotland|
|Number in Class:||1|
|Driving Wheel Diameter:||3 ft.|
|-||Position on frame:||Outside|
|-||Diameter x stroke:||14 in. x 20 in.|
|Boiler Pressure:||150 lbs||130 lbs|
|Tractive Effort:||10,700 lbs||10,700 lbs|
|Weight in Working Order:||42 tons||-|