Commonwealth Railways NDH class Gloucester RailcarsComrails Logo

NDH class Gloucester Railcars

NDH class Gloucester Railcars - NDH 1 to 6

Jump to:

NDH 1 NDH 2 NDH 3 NDH 4 NDH 5 NDH 6
NDH railcar Port Augusta

The Commonwealth Railways commissioned 6 narrow guage rail cars. These cars entered service 1950 and were designed by "Comeng" Sydney as Diesel Hydraulic, being built by the British "Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Co Ltd" and coded "NHD". As built they seated 34 first class and 16 second class passengers.

Units 1 and 2 were allocated to the North Australia Railway, the rest being used on the Central Australia Railway. All units were written off by 8.6.1977.

Class:NDH
Builder:Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Co. Ltd., UK.
Introduced:1954
Number in Class:6
Wheel Arrangement:1A-A1
Engine:Manufacture:GM
-Model:6/71 (2)
Cylinders:Number:6
-Bore & stroke:4¼ in. x 5 in.
Horsepower:140
Tractive EffortStarting:10,080 lbs
Length (over coupling points):62 ft. 6 in.
Maximum Axle Load:9.8 tons
Total weight:36.7 tons
Fuel Capacity:113 gallons
Maximum Speed:50 mph
Hydraulic Transmission:Manufacture:
Model
Allison
Series 600
Hydraulic Final Drive:Manufacture:David Brown
NDH railcar Port Augusta

NDH 1 -- ADH 1

Gloucester rail car.

23.5.1955Arrived North Australia Railway[blc]
11.7.1955Entered service at Darwin as "NDH 1".
1963Converted to first class "ADH 1" sitting car for use on standard gauge.
8.6.1977 Written off at Port Augusta.
21.6.1983Brought by Mile End Museum, never actually collected due to poor condition of vehicle.
ADH2 Duke of Gloucester, 1988 ADH 2 at Port Pirie during 1980

NDH 2 -- ADH 2

Gloucester rail car.

23.5.1955Arrived North Australia Railway[blc]
11.7.1955Entered service at Darwin as "NDH 2".
11.1962To Central Australia Railway.
4.10.1963Converted to first class "ADH 2" sitting car for use on standard gauge.
1972Engines removed, 415V jumper cables fitted, painted red and silver and mounted on Westwaggon bogies for use with "Thermit Welding Train".
8.6.1977Written off.
1.1980Placed in the BP siding at Port Pirie.
3.1983Transferred to Broken Hill for eventual forwarding to Melbourne.
-Converted to a dining car by its purchaser and used on standard gauge. Named "Duke of Gloucester".
13.7.1990,Port Augusta Homestead Park - rail car NDH3

NDH 3 -- ADH 3 -- NBDH 3 -- NADH 3

Gloucester rail car.

1955Entered service as "NDH 3".
14.10.1957Converted to first class "ADH 3" sitting car for use on standard gauge - fitted with Westwaggon bogies.
5.4.1963Converted from standard gauge to narrow gauge, recoded "NBDH 3".
4.10.1963Returned to standard gauge.
27.8.1965Converted to narrow gauge
8.1971Spare at Marree.
8.6.1977Condemned at Port Augusta.
-To Homestead Park, Port Augusta.

NDH 4 -- ADH 4 -- NBDH 4 -- NADH 4

Gloucester rail car.

1955Entered service as "NDH 4".
12.12.1957Converted to first class "ADH 4" sitting car for use on standard gauge.
14.3.1961To narrow gauge, recoded "NBDH 4".
6.11.1963Returned to standard gauge.
1972Engines removed, 415V jumper cables fitted, painted red and silver and mounted on Westwaggon bogies for use with "Thermit Welding Train".
8.6.1977Written off.

NDH 5 -- DH 5

Gloucester rail car.

1955Entered service as "NDH 5".
1.1957Converted to standard gauge, coded "DH".
1971To North Australia Railway[blc]
7.1976Used on the North Australia Railway.
20.1.1977Written off at Darwin.
-Relocated to Berrimah on Darwins outskirts were it is being used as a residence.[th]
DH 6 in all red livery - 1962 NDH6.  Darwin N.T. Circa 1985

NDH/DH 6 -- NDH/DH 6

Gloucester rail car.

1955Entered service as "NDH 6".
1.1957Converted to standard gauge, coded "DH".
1971To North Australia Railway[blc]
7.1976Used on the North Australia Railway.
20.1.1977Written off at Darwin.
-Used as a restaurant in Darwin - "The Train on Gardiner Street".
2005Donated by John Spellman of the "Mississippi Queen" to Adelaide River Heritage Centre.[th]
17.7.2005Moved from Gardner Street, Darwin to Berrimah on Darwin's outskirts for restoration work before taken to Adelaide River Heritage Centre.[th][rpf]