NA 1 -- Sandfly
Built by "Baldwin" (builders No.7860) for contracting firm
"C & E Millar Bros" as an 0-4-0 shunt engine.
Landed Palmerston in 1886, assembled and entered service May 1887 for construction work on Palmerston to Pine Creek Railway. Sold to South Australian Railways in 2.1890. Locally known as Sandfly but officially given road
Transferred to Commonwealth Railways with North Australia Railway line handover of 1 January 1911. In 1917 it was recoded "NA 1", but this number appears to
have never actually been painted on the locomotive.
Spent all its Commonwealth Railways working life on the North Australia Railway till being withdrawn in June 1950.
It was placed on display at the Port Augusta station between 1960 and 1982 before being restored for display in May 1984 at the Adelaide Passenger Terminal, Keswick.
|Builder:||Baldwin Locomotive Works, Philadelphia, USA|
|Number in Class:||1|
|Driving Wheel Diameter:||2 ft. 4 in.|
|-||Position on frame:||Outside|
|-||Diameter x stroke:||8 in. x 12 in.|
|Boiler Pressure:||150 lbs||140 lbs|
|Tractive Effort:||3,400 lbs||3,270 lbs|
|Coal Capacity:||4 cwt|
|Water Capacity:||330 gallons|
|Weight in Working Order:||9 tons 10 cwt|
|Maximum Axle Load:||4 tons 10 cwt|
|Overall Length||18 ft. 6 in.|